There are many security plugins to choose from. The overwhelming number of choices could lead you to choose a flawed security plugin. But if you know what does a good security plugin consists then, finding the right security plugin will not be hard.
In this article, we’ll tell you how to identify a good security plugin. Moreover, we’ve tried out the most popular plugins available in the market. We analyzed them against a list of features a security plugin should have. Then we’ve narrowed it down to the best WordPress security plugins you can use.
If you are in a hurry and want to pick the best security plugin, we suggest installing MalCare Security Service. It’ll scan your website, clean it if any infection is found. The plugin will also protect your site from hack attempts.
What Does a Security Plugin Offer?
A security plugin should offer you 3 services – scanning, cleaning, and protection.
The process of scanning Scanning is a process that involves checking your website for malware. If the scanner finds malware present on your website, you need a cleaner. The cleaner helps remove malicious codes found on your site. And protection involves taking measures that will prevent hacks.
That said, every security plugin functions differently. The approach to scanning, cleaning, and protection differs from one plugin to the other. This makes it hard to know which approach is most effective. So how do you determine which one is a good security plugin?
There are a few must-have security features that’ll help you make that decision. In the next section, we will share the principles we considered to choose a good WordPress security plugin. Here we go –
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Good WordPress Security Plugin
There are nine things to consider. Those are:
1. Detecting Malware in Both Files & Database
A WordPress website is made up of files and a database. A hacker would hide malicious codes in specific locations. For example, you would usually find malware in the .htaccess file or the wp-config file as these files contain your website’s settings data.
When security plugins were first developed, they were designed to look in these usual spots. But nowadays, hackers have advanced their skills. They find ways to place malware anywhere on a website.
Some security plugins for WordPress still rely on the old methods of scanning. In this method, they look for malware only in a few known locations. This way they end up missing malware hidden in other locations.
A good security plugin will scan every file and database to ensure it’s not missing any hidden malware.
2. Scanning Without Using Your Site Resources
Your website needs resources to run its daily activities. A security scan will be a resource-heavy process. Your resources are being split and this can affect your website severely. During the scanning process, your website will become extremely slow. The solution is to choose plugins that don’t run scans using your resources.
3. Instant Malware Removal
Once you find out that a website is hacked and infected with malware, you must immediately clean it.
Many security plugins require you to contact their support team to fix the hack. This can take a few hours up to a few days to clean an infected website. Delay in cleanup can quickly snowball the situation into something bigger.
To combat this issue, you need a plugin that cleans your website instantly.
4. Unlimited Cleanups
A website can be targetted and hacked more than once. Most security plugins offer a one-time cleanup service. Moreover, one-time cleanups are expensive. It’s better to opt for one that gives you unlimited malware removal.
5. Firewall Protection to Block Malicious Traffic
If you own a website, you know that the more traffic you get, the better. Your website will begin ranking for relevant keywords, sales will increase and your revenue will shoot up.
But while traffic is great, not all kind of traffic is good. Some traffic has malicious intent and wants to hack your website. Fortunately, you can track such traffic.
Everyone who is visiting your website is using a device like a laptop or a smartphone. Each device is linked with the IP address. A firewall is able to track these IP addresses. A firewall identifies an IP address that has carried out malicious activities before. It then flags it as bad traffic and prevents it from accessing your website.
There are many security plugins that have in-built firewalls. We recommend finding a plugin that takes care of this for you.
6. Login Page Protection
The WordPress login page is often targeted more any other page of the website. The login page gives direct access to the website. Hence hacker program bots can guess the username and password to break into the website. This is called a brute force attack.
Combating this type of attack is possible by limiting the number of failed login attempts. Choose a security solution that enables you to limit the number of failed login attempts.
7. Website Hardening Measures
Besides using a firewall and protecting the login page, you can take more steps to protect your website against hack attacks. In fact, WordPress recommends certain website hardening measures like preventing PHP execution, disabling theme editor, etc. But implementing these measures for people without any technical knowledge is difficult. An ideal security plugin should enable you to implement these measures with the click of a button.
8. Single Dashboard for Managing Multiple Sites
Managing multiple tasks is tedious and time-consuming. A centralized dashboard will enable you to carry out multiple tasks from one place.
Managing multiple websites can be quiet exhaustive too. You have to flit from one dashboard to another to implement measures like updating the themes and plugins, disabling the theme editor, etc.
Choose a plugin that enables you to carry out multiple tasks. And, also manage multiple websites from a single dashboard.
9. Excellent Customer Support
No matter how good a security plugin is, there are going to times when you need assistance. Ensure that the plugin you choose has an agile customer support team. At times of trouble, you wouldn’t want to wait for hours or days to receive a response from the support team.
That’s our list of features we think a good security plugin should have. Using this as a measure, we distilled 10 security plugins available for WordPress sites.
10 Top WordPress Security Plugins
MalCare is the fastest malware detection and removal plugin. It comes from the house of a very popular backup plugin called BlogVault. They have been offering WordPress backups for close to a decade. The plugin was built from the ground up for over a period of 2.5 years.
- Complete WordPress Malware Scanner
- Instant WordPress Malware Removal
- Powerful Firewall & Login Protection
- Easy Website Hardening Measures
- Single Dashboard For Multiple Website Management
- Team Collaboration & Management
- White-labeling Solution
- Custom & Scheduled Reporting
- Uptime & Performance Monitoring
- Integrated Backups & Restore Facilities
- Detects New & Complex Malware: MalCare comes with an intelligent scanner that accurately identifies new and complex malware and pinpoints their location. Moreover, the plugin does not slow down your website when it’s running the scan.
- Instant & Automatic Malware Removal: With MalCare you can clean your website instantly by just clicking a button. Moreover, you get unlimited cleanups.
- Firewall & Login Protection: The plugin offers a firewall that filters good traffic from the bad. It blocks the bad traffic before they can access your site. It also enables CAPTCHA based protection on your login page to prevent brute force attacks.
- Inbuilt Website Hardening: WordPress recommends certain site hardening measures. Those measures cab be quiet difficult for a non-technical person to implement. MalCare enables you to carry out security hardening with the click of a button.
- Complete Website Management: MalCare’s central dashboard enables you to manage multiple websites from one place.
- MalCare cannot scan, clean and protect websites that are built on a local environment, i.e. on your computer.
- The plugin doesn’t offer two-factor authentication (2FA). The developer’s team behind the plugin is working on enabling 2FA.
MalCare offers both free and premium versions. The premium plan starts at $99 for a single site for a year.
Sucuri is another very popular WordPress security plugin. It offers security measures to not only WordPress websites but also sites build on other CMS like Magento, Drupal, Joomla, etc.
- WordPress Website Malware Scanner
- WordPress Website Malware Removal
- DNS Monitoring
- Google Blacklist Removal
- Firewall Security
- SSL Certificate Detection
- Website Uptime Monitoring
- Monitors DNS Changes: Sucuri monitors DNS (Domain Name Servers) in hopes of catching any malicious modification being made in your DNS.
- Website Firewall Security: The plugin offers a powerful firewall that helps block common hack attempts like DDoS attacks, etc. The firewall also helps optimize the performance of your site.
- Google Blacklist Removal Request: If your sites are blacklisted by Google, Sucuri will make a request to Google to remove the blacklisting.
- The Sucuri scanner is a remote one which means it can only detect malware that the browser can see not the hidden ones.
- In addition, the plugin lacks agile response to issues which can lead to frustration and escalation of the situation.
Sucuri offers both free and pro versions. The premium plan starts at $199.99 for a single site for a year.
3. Wordfence Security
Wordfence is another very popular security plugin and what sets it apart from others is its ability to show Real-Time Traffic. Using this particular feature, you can view the traffic as it comes to your website.
- Website Security Scanning
- Compete Website Malware Removal
- Live Traffic Monitoring
- WordPress Security Firewall
- Login Page Protection
- Block Visitors by Country
- Detect & Repair Corrupted Folders
- Single Dashboard
- Website Security Audit
- Review Hacked Files and Folders: Wordfence scans your website and detects the files that were hacked. It not only enables you to see the files but also shows what file changes were made.
- Track Traffic in Real-Time: The plugin comes with this very interesting tool using which you can see the traffic coming to your website in real-time. And perhaps even observe hacks attempts as they are made on your site.
- Wordfence does not offer a turn-around time which can be frustrating and harmful for a hacked website.
- The plugin uses your server’s resources to run the scanning process which will slow down your website.
Wordfence offers both free and premium versions. The premium plan starts $99 for a single site for a year.
Before the plugin was known as iThemes Security, it was called Better WP Security. WP Buffs, a popular WordPress maintenance service free access to the security plugin. One of the main highlights of iTheme is that it offers more than 30 different security measures.
- Website Malware Scanner
- Website Security Report
- WordPress Login Page Protection
- Website Hardening Measures
- Central Dashboard For Multiple Sites
- WordPress Version Management Facilities
- Protection Against Brute Force Attacks: iThemes protects your WordPress login page against hackers and bots who are trying to guess your login credentials to gain access to your website.
- Away Mode: Sometimes people leave the dashboard open without logging out. The Away Mode enables you to log out idle users from the dashboard.
- Enforce Strong Passwords: Many people use easy-to-remember passwords which makes the job of a hacker easier. With iThemes you can enforce the use of a strong password by every user of your website.
- iThemes offers a ton of features and many of the Advanced features use your server’s resources. And draining of resources can make your website inaccessible especially if it’s hosted on a shared WordPress hosting server.
- In addition, the plugin does not have an in-house security scanner nor a malware removal. It utilizes Sucuri’s SiteCheck to look for malicious codes on your website. Furthermore, if you need to remove malicious codes from your site, you’ll need to contact Sucuri.
iThemes offers both free and premium versions. The iThemes Security Pro starts at $80 for a single site for a year.
SiteLock is another reputed WordPress security plugin that has an interesting approach to security. They offer an automated site security service which means functions like scanning and cleaning malware occur on its own. Therefore, you don’t need to manually enable it.
- WordPress Malware Scanner
- Automated Core Vulnerability Patching
- Automated WordPress Malware Removal
- WordPress DDoS Firewall
- WordPress Web Application Firewall
- Automated Core Vulnerability Patching: Vulnerabilities that develop on the WordPress core will be fixed automatically by SiteLock. But you’d still need to manually update the core.
- Automated WordPress Malware Removal: The plugin will scan your website looking for malicious codes. When it finds malware, it’ll automatically remove the malware from your website without you having to do anything.
- On occasion, SiteLock has failed to detect malware in time and has sometimes has failed to remove malicious code entirely.
- The plugin has developed a bad reputation among site owners as many of them have experienced deceptive billing strategies.
SiteLock offers both free and premium versions. The premium plan starts at $99.99 for a single site for a year.
The teams behind WP Rocket and Imagify have built SecuPress Security Plugin. One of the first things that you’ll notice about this plugin is its beautiful dashboard. And therefore, the most visually appealing plugin in the lot.
- PHP Malware Scanning
- Security Points Checking
- WordPress Malware Removal
- IP Blocking & Firewall Protection
- Website Login Page Protection
- Blocking Visitors by Country
- WordPress Website Hardening
- White Label Solution
- Complete WordPress Backup
- Disabling XML-RPC: XML-RPC is a WordPress feature that often poses a risk of attacks. Therefore, SecuPress enables you to easily disable the feature.
- Website Login Page Security: The WordPress login page is often targetted by hackers hence it must be protected. This security plugin offers many protective measures like preventing the registration of new users, etc.
- SecuPress can be quiet expensive. If you want help from the team to configure the plugin for you, you’ll need to pay $100 extra. In case malware is found on your site, a one-time cleanup Prices $160.
- Moreover, the support team is not agile and responsive.
SecuPress offers both free and premium version. The premium plan starts at $65 for a single site for a year.
7. All-In-One WP Security & Firewall
All-In-One WP Security & Firewall enables users to take some basic security measures. The plugin offers the user ways of fixing security holes found on WordPress websites.
- Automatic WordPress Scanner
- User Account Maintenance
- WordPress Database Security
- WordPress Firewall Security
- Brute Force Login Attack Protection
- Website Maintenance Mode
- Blocking Visitors by IP Address
- Website Uptime Monitoring
- Detects Website Security Holes: All-In-One WP Security scans your website looking for security holes in the site. Once the security holes are found, you can patch them using the plugin.
- Security Strength Measurement: The plugin has a list of common vulnerabilities found on WordPress websites. It checks the website against this list then grades the security strength and shows you the results under the section called Security Strength Meter. It also tells you what measures you need to take to secure your WordPress website against such vulnerabilities.
- Sometimes other WordPress themes and plugins are known to conflict with the security plugin. Moreover, enabling the advanced features can break the site.
- On many occasions, after enabling the firewall, several admins were locked out of their websites. As a result, the plugin became a cause of frustration.
All-In-One WP Security & Firewall offers both free and premium versions. The premium plan starts at $9.95 for a single site for a month.
8. BulletProof Security
Launched almost a decade ago, the BulletProof Security Plugin requires you to configure it properly. Once done, it’ll help you enable some basic security measures on your WordPress website.
- Website Malware Scanner
- WordPress File Monitoring
- Login Page Protection & Monitoring
- Htaccess File Protection
- WordPress Firewall Protection
- Specific Files Upload Prevention
- Website Maintenance Mode
- Logout Idle Users: Sometimes users may move away from the dashboard or become inactive for a long period of time. For this reasons, BulletProof Security will log out the user to ensure that the website is not being exploited.
- Upload Folder Protection: The plugin can put the Upload folder under lock and key. Consequently, no one can access, view or execute anything in the Upload folder.
- Database Diff Tool: Sometimes hack can occur in the database. Therefore, Database Diff Tool enables you to see changes that have been made on your WordPress database.
- Bulletproof Security has the most complex dashboard and it takes a while to find your way and configure the plugin. It’s time-consuming and a little frustrating.
- When you uninstall the security plugin, it leaves behind a trail of folders and data tables which can make your website slow.
BulletProof Security offers both free and premium versions. The premium plan starts at $69.95 for a single site for a year.
9. Shield Security
Shield Security plugin offers basic website security measures. After installing the plugin, the first thing that you’d notice is the list of potential security found on your website. Next, the plugin will also tell you about the measures that you need to take to secure your site.
- WordPress Core Scanning
- Monitoring User Activities
- Website Login Page Protection
- WordPress Firewall Security
- Themes & Plugins Vulnerability Scanner
- Shield Security Settings Import & Export
- Security Through Obscurity: This option allows you to take certain measures consequently making your website hard to break into.
- Import & Export Options: Setting up the plugin from scratch can be really time-consuming and frustrating. But, by using the import-export option, you can import the plugin’s settings to a new website.
- Activating the plugin is not as easy as the other plugins where you just need to click the ‘activate’ button. But here, you need to configure the plugin which is technical and very time-consuming.
- The plugin does not offer any malware removal service. If your website is hacked, then you’d have to rely on other security services to clean your website.
Bullet Security & Firewall offers both free and premium versions. The premium plan starts at $12 for a single site for a year.
10. WP Security Ninja
WP Security Ninja comes with an impressive set of over 50 security vulnerability checks. Moreover, the plugin checks your website against this list looking for vulnerabilities on your website. It also offers a security report along with steps to take to protect your site against such vulnerabilities.
- Website Malware Scanning
- Auto Fixer Module
- WordPress Firewall Security
- Login Page Security
- Blocking Suspicious Requests
- Blocking Visitors by Country
- Plugin Settings Import & Export
- Redirects Malicious Visitors: WP Security Ninja’s firewall keeps track of all traffic flowing into your website. Moreover, all malicious traffic is redirected away from your WordPress website.
- Fixes Your Website Automatically: The plugin offers an Auto-Fix Module. When enabled will automatically fix vulnerabilities that the plugin finds on your website.
- WP Ninja Security does not offer malware removal facilities. Moreover, if the scanner finds malicious codes on your website, you will need to reach out to other security services to remove the malware.
- Moreover, activating the plugin is not as easy as the other plugins where you just need to click the ‘activate’ button. Here, you need to configure the plugin which is technical and very time-consuming.
WP Security Ninja offers both free and premium versions. The premium plan starts at $39 for a single site for a year.
With that, we have come to the end of this list of top WordPress security plugins.
Every security plugin that we’ve listed down offers a free as well as a premium version. Most of the free versions will offer you scanning and a few hack-prevention measures. But to clean your website and implement effective site protect measures, you will need to become a paid member.
Every plugin tackles security differently. Sucuri shines with its site performance and an advanced firewall. Both Wordfence and iThemes offers abundant features. They promise to protect every possible vulnerable area on your site. But MalCare Security comes out on top because of it’s comprehensive and unique approach to security. It detects new and complex malware, offers unlimited instant cleanups. It also enables you to implement site hardening measures. Therefore, we strongly suggest you give MalCare a spin.
Use MalCare Security Plugin to Protect Your Website 24 x 7